Cortex PBP Games

 
* *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2018, 02:25:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 24765
  • Total Topics: 531
  • Online Today: 16
  • Online Ever: 78
  • (August 03, 2013, 08:27:12 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 10
Total: 10

Recent

10 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: [BNW] Chapter 2: Against the Rising Tide  (Read 22947 times)

September 08, 2011, 02:59:27 PM
  • Moderator
  • Grizzled Warrior
  • *****
  • Posts: 3921
  • Karma: +30/-0
  • GM - BNW, SAHC
    • View Profile



Thalia

The Temple of the Moon vanishes, leaving the group standing in an open glade under dim skies.  The gas giant covers a full tenth of the sky, and gives a blueish tinge to everything.  The open forest of maples and oaks is calm and quiet, and a well-worn dirt road passes through the grade.

Sounds of revelry can be heard not far away, and the warm, golden glow of a bonfire can be seen dimly through the trees - the road appears to head in that direction.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 08:13:11 AM by cortex ghost »
"Honestly, I swear to drunk I'm not God."
"Does this smell like chloroform to you?"
"Nothing in the Verse can stop me."


September 24, 2011, 04:36:34 PM
Reply #1
  • Warhorse
  • ******
  • Posts: 2497
  • Karma: +24/-0
    • View Profile

Leon looked around, his eyes re-adjusting due to what he assumed was the after effects of switching from such different locales instantaneously. Reaching into his coat pocket, Leon grabbed his pocket scope and unfolded it with the press of a button. He quickly scanned the area with the nightvision mode, then folded it and put it back.



"Party, let us proceed." he said, buttoning his greatcoat closed to hide his pistol brace underneath "I for one am eager to discover what this planet has to behold. Lady Samantha? Shall we?"

While he started along the dirt path, Leon checked his digi-compass and pocket watch to see if they still even worked after being tossed through the dimensional rift twice.
PbP Campaign history
AitD: Elliot and Alice Jeru
BNW: Leon Artest
Successfully concluded campaigns
TGB: Aquila Golan
"Before I refuse to take your questions, I have an opening statement." -Ronald Reagan


September 24, 2011, 09:25:49 PM
Reply #2
  • Warhorse
  • ******
  • Posts: 1663
  • Karma: +18/-0
    • View Profile

The Mason
Redhead in a Shimmering Dress
~ Amnesiac
~ Memorable
~ Strange Luck


The Mason looked side to side, turned around, and eventually stood facing Leon as he began to lead the way.  From somewhere on her person she removed her screwdriver and after a few seconds of whirring noise, she looked at it, frowned, and vanished it to somewhere unseen on her person.  She began following Leon and others.


"Curiosity Beckons."
"Saving the day never seems to count if you can't save everyone..."


September 25, 2011, 12:01:36 AM
Reply #3
  • Administrator
  • Grizzled Warrior
  • *****
  • Posts: 4205
  • Karma: +15/-1
    • View Profile


Maj. Samatha Carter
  US Air Force pilot, astrophysicist
    P-90, Beretta 9 mm, Kara kesh
      9/12 PP

Samantha Pulls the loose edges of her pancho around her, and tucked the hood over her head as Leon proceeded forward. She strode briskly forward to match his steps, and draw close up behind him. "The jovian planet overhead would suggest a nominal orbital pattern; probably still well within the Goldilocks Zone."
-Mac


GM: BumpInTheBlack
Player: D:LH, SAHC, BNW


September 25, 2011, 02:01:14 AM
Reply #4
  • Warhorse
  • ******
  • Posts: 2497
  • Karma: +24/-0
    • View Profile

Looking up from inspecting his compass, Leon blinked in Samantha's direction. "I am sorry, what?" he asked with genuine curiosity "What is this 'Goldilocks Zone' you speak of?"
PbP Campaign history
AitD: Elliot and Alice Jeru
BNW: Leon Artest
Successfully concluded campaigns
TGB: Aquila Golan
"Before I refuse to take your questions, I have an opening statement." -Ronald Reagan


September 25, 2011, 09:49:19 AM
Reply #5
  • Administrator
  • Grizzled Warrior
  • *****
  • Posts: 4205
  • Karma: +15/-1
    • View Profile


Maj. Samatha Carter
  US Air Force pilot, astrophysicist
    P-90, Beretta 9 mm, Kara kesh
      9/12 PP

Samantha smiles in reply, "There is a region around a star where it is neither too hot nor too cold to support life, as we define it. In this case, this planet, " she waves at the gas giant overhead, "would need to be orbiting in that zone for there to be the right circumstances for this moon to have vegetation and atmosphere."
-Mac


GM: BumpInTheBlack
Player: D:LH, SAHC, BNW


September 25, 2011, 04:17:46 PM
Reply #6
  • Warhorse
  • ******
  • Posts: 2497
  • Karma: +24/-0
    • View Profile

"Hmm. I see. Also known as the Zoia or Life Zone, where I come from." Leon responded matter-of-factly, returning her smile. He made a mental note: Once everyone was on board the ship, he would have to update the crew logs with a codex of information on each new passenger and their universe of origin.

"How did something like that ever come to be named 'Goldilocks'? I have never heard that word used before."
PbP Campaign history
AitD: Elliot and Alice Jeru
BNW: Leon Artest
Successfully concluded campaigns
TGB: Aquila Golan
"Before I refuse to take your questions, I have an opening statement." -Ronald Reagan


September 25, 2011, 05:21:02 PM
Reply #7
  • Moderator
  • Grizzled Warrior
  • *****
  • Posts: 3921
  • Karma: +30/-0
  • GM - BNW, SAHC
    • View Profile

Suriya fumbles with her new clothing until her sword and gun are both easily accessible, and then proceeds to dump out her pockets until she produces a small notepad and pen.  Jotting something down, she returns it to her vest.  As she picks up the bit of string, small silver cup, chalk, and handcuffs she had tossed on the ground, she responds matter-of-factly, "Goldilocks, from the fairy tale of Goldilocks and the Three Bears - girl walking in forest, commits B&E, burglary, vandalism, and criminal mischief - the bears then eat her."
"Honestly, I swear to drunk I'm not God."
"Does this smell like chloroform to you?"
"Nothing in the Verse can stop me."


September 25, 2011, 07:45:43 PM
Reply #8
  • Seasoned Veteran
  • ***
  • Posts: 125
  • Karma: +5/-0
    • View Profile

Ichabod Crane
Spectre of Halloween
~ Eerie presence
~ Animal Emity
PP: 4/6


Ichabod looks about himself, taking in the surroundings, as he always does when he first arrives at a new world. I am not suprised that the Overseer's abilities are gentler then the Magic that uses me. This time there was no trouble caused at all.

Ichabod falls into the group, not arguing with Leon starting them off toward the town. He notices that the mason hasn't spoken up yet, but before he says anything, Suriya, with the driest sense of humor, gives a brief on Goldilocks. He cracks a smile and chuckles a pit at the image in his head. However, his mirth quickly dissapears when his stomach churns emptily in response to the image of the eating bears in his head. I hope that there is a bore at the party up ahead. I do not wish to ruin some innocence's night.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 09:25:22 PM by MacTrom »


September 25, 2011, 09:27:41 PM
Reply #9
  • Administrator
  • Grizzled Warrior
  • *****
  • Posts: 4205
  • Karma: +15/-1
    • View Profile


Maj. Samatha Carter
  US Air Force pilot, astrophysicist
    P-90, Beretta 9 mm, Kara kesh
      9/12 PP

"Indeed. The story of Goldilocks: when trying the porridge, the first was too hot, the second too cold. The third, just right. So it was easier in my Universe to call this the Goldilocks Zone to indicate a temperature that was neither too hot nor too cold."
-Mac


GM: BumpInTheBlack
Player: D:LH, SAHC, BNW


September 25, 2011, 10:18:07 PM
Reply #10
  • Warhorse
  • ******
  • Posts: 2497
  • Karma: +24/-0
    • View Profile

Leon's eyes widened and he laughed nervously on hearing Suriya's interpretation of the old tale. He faced forward "I suppose it is meant to be an allegorical tale." The sounds of the harvest festival grew louder. Once he neared the edge of the treeline, Leon removed his pocket scope and took a look in the direction of the bonfire to get an idea of the scale of the festival.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 07:32:57 PM by RobbyL9 »
PbP Campaign history
AitD: Elliot and Alice Jeru
BNW: Leon Artest
Successfully concluded campaigns
TGB: Aquila Golan
"Before I refuse to take your questions, I have an opening statement." -Ronald Reagan


September 26, 2011, 06:48:58 AM
Reply #11
  • Grizzled Warrior
  • *
  • Posts: 2649
  • Karma: +6/-0
    • View Profile

Monroe walks slowly behind the group, checking himself mentally after the transport. He listens to the talk of unrelated children's tales without humour, instead watching his companions closely.
Writer: The Only Good Bug...


September 26, 2011, 11:02:03 PM
Reply #12
  • Big Damn Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 659
  • Karma: +5/-0
  • The Journey is Richer than the Arrival
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt page


Raven Trailblazer
      3/6 PP
~Memorable
~Allure
~Air of Mystery


With the trans-universal shift occurred, Raven felt incredibly distant and detached from his surroundings. Pausing in place and blinking repeatedly, a sense of celestial abjection that was only abated by the strong in spirit or faith from his home realm: their minds like distant echoes of someone yelling across a chasm. His wife & daughter could be heard, praying for his success; his followers praying for the suffering to end; a sense of spiritual lag that froze Raven where he stood.

"Party, let us proceed." he said, buttoning his greatcoat closed to hide his pistol brace underneath "I for one am eager to discover what this planet has to behold. Lady Samantha? Shall we?"

The loud voice of the captain jarred Raven out of his daze. A deep breath and a gentle closing of his eyes, spread his arms wide and concentrated on his appearance.

<Air of Mystery>

In a soft glow of silver light his clothing shifted in color and cut. Dressed in black traveller's longcoat & sturdy wortleberry-blue trousers with faint silver threads at the seams, black gloves & riding boots with subtle stitching of a Rapier & Pistol crossed with a symbol of an eye at their crossing point. He adjusted his sheath, holster, and backpack to sit more snugly with the looser and less-tailored attire. Most notable addition to his attire was a black wide-brimmed hat that hid his silver eyes; his hair tied up and hidden in the hat. His backpack even shifted to a softer autumn-yellow hue to not so strongly advertise Raven's apparent wealth.

INT 1d8 : 7, total 7
Covert 1d6 : 4, total 4
In Plain Sight 1d8 : 8, total 8
   Grand Total=19


He strode after the party, doing his best to not alarm the others with his unforeseen pause. "It has been too long since I have left my own universe. Tied as I am to my celestial home, it feels altogether strange and ponderous: to hear the voices of my strongest believers and even the faint loving prayers of my family. I will have to be careful as I travel, if I don't want to hold these heroes back." It in the midst of his thoughts he realizes he remembered something rather important.

He then began to pray quietly under his breath.
<Divine Magic>

Raven's eyes glow brightly even with his eyes hidden, his hands lightly pressed together and steeped in prayer, his voice softly singing like chimes and heavenly choir into the dark night, all to facilitate communication with a friendly heavenly personage; for without blessing from the home divine power, if there was an active one here, Raven would be without his wealth of magic power for the duration of his visit.
[Language=Celestial]"Oh Divine Power, I beech any who hold claim to Divine Power in this realm, Hear my prayer, oh magnificent and glorious Power. Hear me, for I am a visiting holy man and request your ear, so I may best avoid offense or transgression. Hear me, oh graceful and enlightened Power, so I may best travel with grace and due respect for your vast realm. Hear me, for I come in peace."[/Language]
To get in contact with any "Divine Power"
WIL 1d10 : 4, total 4
Understanding 1d10 : 6, total 6
   Grand Total=10


Although Raven found his Prayer of Understanding to be just shy of grovelling, he knew that the majority of gods his encountered preferred the humble holy man over the trumpeting heavenly chariot of more proud and obnoxious gods. This would be his first time using the Prayer of Understanding outside the UMU, hopefully the Gods of other realms were just as, shall we say, courteous as his own; again, assuming any were even bothering to listen in this realm, as he knew some universes had quiet and unassuming Gods at their thrones.
"Too many folk, women and men, love the person they wish to be, as if by loving that person, or being loved by that person, they could attain the importance they long for."~~ Wintrow Vestrit in Robin Hobb's Ship of Destiny


September 27, 2011, 10:05:11 AM
Reply #13
  • Moderator
  • Grizzled Warrior
  • *****
  • Posts: 3921
  • Karma: +30/-0
  • GM - BNW, SAHC
    • View Profile

Leon led the group out into the clearing where the bonfire raged.  A large group of people, probably about three hundred or so, stood around the fire laughing, singing, and talking.  Another group, probably around 40, mostly in their teens and twenties danged around the fire and shared large mugs of something apparently quite alcoholic, judging by the gout of flame released when someone spilled some into the fire.



Leon and Samantha step out of the trees and are spotted rather quickly.  Several of the group of dancers, mainly young women, dance forward and pull them towards the fire, handing them mugs of hard cider and placing loops of grape vines over their shoulders.  The girls give them each passionate kisses, and as the music starts again draws them into the dancing.

Suriya, Monroe, Ichabod and the Mason stop short as this happens, and another group comes out of the groups of dancers, calling to them,  "Join the dance!"  They hand over more mugs of cider, and pull them forward toward the fire.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 10:10:32 PM by cortex ghost »
"Honestly, I swear to drunk I'm not God."
"Does this smell like chloroform to you?"
"Nothing in the Verse can stop me."


September 27, 2011, 11:49:53 AM
Reply #14
  • Warhorse
  • ******
  • Posts: 1663
  • Karma: +18/-0
    • View Profile

The Mason
Redhead in a Shimmering Dress
~ Amnesiac
~ Memorable
~ Strange Luck


"Excuse me, I-" The Mason's words are cut off as she is pulled physically towards the bonfire by the dancers.  "I dare say, I am not interes-murph!!"  again her words are cut off, this time as a young female dancer energetically kisses her, the scent of fermented apples filling her nostrils and throat.  Abruptly the dancer pulls away, laughing and tugging on The Mason's arm to drag her into the dance around the fire.

The roaring light of the flames flickers off the glittery starlike reflections of her dress.  Half-heartedly she attempts to dance while seeking the easiest way to detach from the dancers without causing a disruption.  It is quite clear that her talents in dancing are more-or-less non-existent, yet amongst the intoxicated revelry of the natives this went mostly unnoticed.  Instead she found herself constantly entwined with grape vines and unwanted groping by drunken revelers.
"Curiosity Beckons."
"Saving the day never seems to count if you can't save everyone..."