Cortex PBP Games

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2018, 02:12:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 24765
  • Total Topics: 531
  • Online Today: 16
  • Online Ever: 78
  • (August 03, 2013, 08:27:12 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 9
Total: 9

Recent

9 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: [LoM] OOC chat (was Recruiting call: Traveller)  (Read 25640 times)

January 17, 2012, 06:37:20 PM
  • Grizzled Warrior
    • View Profile

Some, maybe all of you, may have noticed I spent some time modifying traveller to fit snugly into the bowels of the cortex system.

Now, since I have finished my dissertation and am feeling much more refreshed than I have been in a long time, I would like to run a game of traveller in that system.

Now I have several ideas for games:
1) Pure traveller. A small ship, an eclectic crew and lots of adventuring with things from trading to gunfights and all that jazz.

2) Trading. A larger ship, probably custom designed for maximum cargo space, running cargo between words in an attempt to make enough cash to stay afloat.

3) Pirates. Much like pure traveller, but with many less morals. Attacking traders on the jump limit and stealing their cargoes while running some of your own. More likely to see an armed vessel. Less likely to worry about payments on the ship, unless your a smuggler or some such.

4) SORT. Special Operations, Recon and Tactics. A strange mix of scouts, soldiers and scientists, SORT teams head into worlds to solve problems caused by those from higher tech societies. Government sanctioned, Undercover work. Often have to function at a less than optimal technology level.

So there it is. Please post your opinions, questions or interest. Thanks for reading. Barnes.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 01:26:24 PM by barnest2 »
Writer: The Only Good Bug...

January 18, 2012, 12:50:49 AM
Reply #1

I'm in, with the aforementioned Hiver Engineer.  My personal preference lies with option 4, with option 3 a close second.

Are you leaving it up to us as to what heroic level to take, due to the aging mechanic balancing things out, or do you want to put a cap on how many terms we can add?

January 18, 2012, 04:47:33 AM
Reply #2
  • Grizzled Warrior
    • View Profile

Age should be the only limit... especially since by the time you hit 60 odd you'll be losing characteristics a lot.

January 18, 2012, 09:42:39 AM
Reply #3
  • Administrator
  • Grizzled Warrior
    • View Profile

I'm interested, providing I can get my energy back up to par. LOL

Any direction is fine, providing it doesn't develop into either investigation or fleet actions (neither have held up to long term gaming in my opinion).
 ;)
-Mac

GM: BumpInTheBlack
Player: D:LH, SAHC, BNW

January 18, 2012, 10:29:14 AM
Reply #4
  • Grizzled Warrior
    • View Profile

Yeah, you need to get posting again mac  ;D especially in bsg... :P
Plus I need to work out what I'm doing with BSG...

Anyway, what about a collection of piratical style peoples...
The choice at that point is:
-A ship that is legally registered and being paid for. Ambushes boardings and smugglings must be very subtle, but you're also more likely to be able to dock at starports and make legal cargo runs if they need to...

-A stolen or unregistered ship, normally better armed, but you will always be on the run (absolutely always). If you're spotted, you will be hunted... but you might have the guns to keep yourself safe...
Plus, you dont have to save up every month to pay your mortgage.

January 18, 2012, 11:46:40 AM
Reply #5
  • Big Damn Hero
    • View Profile

I'm interested. Playing a pirate would be rather fun after the collection of upright types I've been going through. Also, +1 to what Mac said about investigation.

I've never actually played Traveler before, though; would that be a problem?

January 18, 2012, 12:14:29 PM
Reply #6
  • Grizzled Warrior
    • View Profile

Not at all... There are some assumptions that might need to be explained though. For instance, FTL travel always takes 1 week, no matter the distance you travel, and has a range of 1-6 parsecs dependant on the size of your drive.

January 18, 2012, 12:23:30 PM
Reply #7
  • Big Damn Hero
    • View Profile

I saw that, when I was poking about the traveler wiki (huzzah for the internet). I saw some stuff about a Third Imperium, is that the major government? How does government work in the Traveler 'verse?

January 18, 2012, 12:28:24 PM
Reply #8
  • Grizzled Warrior
    • View Profile

The Third Imperium is the main human civilisation. Each major race has essentially one government, but there are a couple of splinters and mixed groups. Government basically works like this:
-The Emperor controls the Imperium
-Each individual sector (or such) is controlled by a Duke
-Each world has its own government.

The point is, communications (no FTL comms) only goes as fast as ships, so each planet rules itself on the small things, and major policy is decided on by dukes or the emperor.

Here, a map for scale:
http://www.travellermap.com/

The Imperium is the third imperium. Zoom in to see how many systems it has :P

January 18, 2012, 12:33:13 PM
Reply #9
  • Big Damn Hero
    • View Profile

wow. That's a big map. Eat your heart out, Star Wars.

The droyne look interesting - how difficult would it be to play as one?

January 18, 2012, 12:41:01 PM
Reply #10
  • Grizzled Warrior
    • View Profile

Considering that almost every world also has a statline... yeah :P

Playing as a droyne would be.. complex. For a start you would be part of a hive mind based caste system... which would be curious to see if you could play it well :P
There are 6 droyne castes:
-Worker (no, dont play as this)
-Warrior - heads for fighting careers
-Drones - business, trade and admin... could be weird
-Technicians - scientists and engineers
-Sport - Individuality is only present in these. They are scouts, messengers, hunters, prospectors. The most encountered cast away from home worlds.
-Leaders - the smart ones. Unlikely to see as a PC...

So yeah, the bold ones are more PC oriented. Plus you can fly. Could be interesting certainly...

January 18, 2012, 12:47:23 PM
Reply #11
  • Big Damn Hero
    • View Profile

I wanna be a worker! I kid. I was leaning toward sport, from what it said on the wiki.

The thing is, they sound almost exactly like kobolds - in space! I like kobolds (the conniving stabbity bas- er, rude reprobates), so the race holds an attraction to me.

I thought the hivers had the hive mind, while the droyne were just genetically set into a caste system. How's that work, exactly?

January 18, 2012, 01:02:23 PM
Reply #12
  • Grizzled Warrior
    • View Profile

Hang on i'll find me core book...

Hivers are like us, just on a six-fold symmetry. No hive mind. they're called hivers because of the bee hive like appearance of their buildings

Droyne are in fact not a hive mind (my mistook) but they are very rigidly set in their caste (by genetics). However, they basically have no concept of self, and everything is done for the good of the group or race.

Sport would prob be the best for a PC as I said. you're the most likely to stay away from home for a while.

So, you happy with piratical games?

January 18, 2012, 01:13:35 PM
Reply #13
  • Big Damn Hero
    • View Profile

Well, it'd depend on how ruthless a gang of pirates, but yeah. How many players are you going to go for?

January 18, 2012, 01:51:30 PM
Reply #14
  • Grizzled Warrior
    • View Profile

Well with you geo and Mac... that makes three :P
I'm willing to run with that, and up to 5 maybe.