Cortex PBP Games

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2018, 02:12:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 24765
  • Total Topics: 531
  • Online Today: 16
  • Online Ever: 78
  • (August 03, 2013, 08:27:12 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 9
Total: 9

Recent

9 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: [D:LH] Fireside Chats - OOC Thread  (Read 23832 times)

March 27, 2012, 03:39:25 PM
  • Administrator
  • Grizzled Warrior
    • View Profile

Here's where's ya say whats ya gotta say.
"If wishes were horses, we'd all be eating steak." Jayne Cobb

March 28, 2012, 12:31:41 PM
Reply #1
  • Administrator
  • Grizzled Warrior
    • View Profile

We've got two players ready and the other two working up their characters, as soon as both are in the flight manifest, I will post the opening thread.

March 29, 2012, 12:28:43 PM
Reply #2
  • Administrator
  • Grizzled Warrior
    • View Profile

Waiting on what more character sheet and I will launch the introduction thread. There is a possible fifth player, but that is not confirmed and if that does happen, they can join in flight.

March 29, 2012, 07:14:23 PM
Reply #3

As far as traits go, what is the limited number of dice for Veterans for Cortex Basic, or are you house-ruling it, Sky?

March 29, 2012, 07:44:55 PM
Reply #4
  • Administrator
  • Grizzled Warrior
    • View Profile

I checked the rules and there is no stated maximum. Take a look at the other PCs and stay in that range to be in the right ballpark. The others are in the 18-22 point range.

March 30, 2012, 11:44:04 AM
Reply #5

March 30, 2012, 04:08:57 PM
Reply #6
  • Administrator
  • Grizzled Warrior
    • View Profile

I checked the rules and there is no stated maximum. Take a look at the other PCs and stay in that range to be in the right ballpark. The others are in the 18-22 point range.

what I've generally done (as a GM) is limit to d8 per Trait, and a max of 5 Assets or Complications. That would max to 40 if they were all maxed out; somewhat high, but if averaged (say 3 at 4, 1 at 6 or possibly 8 ) it works out to around 20-30 range. I do believe the max number of assets is 5; that's what most GMs establish.

-Mac

GM: BumpInTheBlack
Player: D:LH, SAHC, BNW

March 30, 2012, 04:24:25 PM
Reply #7
  • Administrator
  • Grizzled Warrior
    • View Profile

I'm fine with that rule, but as everyone has shown restraint on the traits, I figured we'll all just follow the established example.

April 03, 2012, 10:00:41 PM
Reply #8
  • Big Damn Hero
    • View Profile

I seem to remember one of the source books mentioned 30 total points/dice for Traits; but I'd have to go back through the books when I get home to see if I'm remembering correctly.

Also...this is a minor thing; but going by the 'cannon' rules; a vehicle's Life Points are derived from the Strength and the Will attribute; not the Vitality and the Will stats. You have the Clipper having a d2 Strength; so that would drop the LPs quite a bit. Now of course; you may be using a different rule set; just thought I'd mention that.

-Adventure is interesting allready....I just bought the second book the other day...haven't had a chance to start it yet; hopefully it's as good as the first!

April 03, 2012, 10:05:33 PM
Reply #9

Japanese fighter aircraft that may have seen service in the Phillipines during 1941:

Aichi E13A (Jake) naval reconnaissance seaplane http://www.militaryfactory.com/aircraft/detail.asp?aircraft_id=443

Mitsubishi Ki-46 (Dinah) Recon/Heavy fighter/bomber interceptor http://www.militaryfactory.com/aircraft/detail.asp?aircraft_id=443

Nakajima B5N (Kate) Carrier-born topedo bomber http://www.militaryfactory.com/aircraft/detail.asp?aircraft_id=374

April 03, 2012, 10:11:24 PM
Reply #10
  • Administrator
  • Grizzled Warrior
    • View Profile

Also...this is a minor thing; but going by the 'cannon' rules; a vehicle's Life Points are derived from the Strength and the Will attribute; not the Vitality and the Will stats. You have the Clipper having a d2 Strength; so that would drop the LPs quite a bit. Now of course; you may be using a different rule set; just thought I'd mention that.

You are completely right. I was using the original Serenity rules and somehow missed the Strength or Vitality thing. I thought that was something they changed with BSG, but I am obviously wrong. I have modified the plane accordingly, however, that isn't good news for those on board.

April 03, 2012, 10:18:45 PM
Reply #11
  • Big Damn Hero
    • View Profile

DOH! Sorry people!

....This is just my point of view...but I think if using a 'Vehicle' Scale as a bridge between People and 'Capital' Scale for vehicles like Destroyers and Battleships, etc.; I'd give a Clipper a d8 or maybe even d10 Strength. If using the Firefly '1 size fits all' Vehicle scale; I can understand a much lower rating.

-I own the Firefly, BSG and Cortex Generic books; in BSG and Cortex Generic; they have 2 scales of vehicles and use STR + WIL for LPs for vehicles.

Hope that helps...

As for the Phillipines; mostly IJN aircraft were uses in the initial attacks; predomintely Mitsubishi A6 'Zero' fighers and G4 'Betty' Bombers as they were the only aircraft that had the range to make the attack flights from Formosa. Other aircraft types were used when the Carriers raided them; including 'Claude' Fighters from the little carrier 'Ryujo'; which was in the vicinity in the early days of the attack.

I'm not sure exactly when the first IJA aircraft arrived at the captured airfields.....now I'm curious....:)

April 04, 2012, 05:30:16 PM
Reply #12
  • Administrator
  • Grizzled Warrior
    • View Profile

[- guess I missed the first pass by the Jap. He should have been coming in on our tail, so I guess since he shows up at 11:00, that he passed by and then reversed course, right? did Jackson's evasion help against the gun fire? And I had asked is it were possible to have a 1911 on board for security. not expecting much ammo, though.  ;)  -]

Your first roll got you a bit of a lead until they used their speed to over take, the lead broke to one side, while the other two broke the other way, when you made your second roll you had to pick a direction and I went with the single plane, as the leader was coming directly at you, your evasion forced you into the path of the other two. Only one managed a shot and it was bare minimal damage. The plane has take 1 Stun and 2 Wound in damage. Wouldn't be a big deal until max pointed out the mistake I made in calculating Life Points, so instead of 14% damage, you sustained 25% damage. However, this opening scene was scripted in advance and unavoidable, but your rolls did help me add some flavor to the narrative. Now that you are clear of the storm, what happens next is up to you. 

April 04, 2012, 08:18:21 PM
Reply #13

Greetings people people, a passenger is on board! As for a few of those units mentioned, I actually have little miniatures of those for a naval warfare game(might as well say the majority of my collection is Japanese actually.)

So people know my character has a bit of a snake motif to it. Not in looks(except for a tattoo) but i think it's cool none the less.

April 06, 2012, 12:05:31 PM
Reply #14

Just out of curiosity, what's the condition of where the passengers would be? That would help me compose my first post