Cortex PBP Games

 
* *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2018, 02:10:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 24765
  • Total Topics: 531
  • Online Today: 16
  • Online Ever: 78
  • (August 03, 2013, 08:27:12 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 8
Total: 8

Recent

8 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: [BNW] Chapter 4: Into the Heart of Darkness  (Read 22355 times)

December 04, 2012, 12:20:41 PM
  • Moderator
  • Grizzled Warrior
  • *****
  • Posts: 3921
  • Karma: +30/-0
  • GM - BNW, SAHC
    • View Profile



The Temple of the Moon seems quiet, after everything.  The USV Tempest floats serenely over the Square, its dark hull gleaming.  The stenciled rose and motto stand out against the armor plating.

There is the scent of jasmine on the wind, and there is a the soft sound of birds from the Temple grounds.  Everyone is a bit subdued after the events of the City of the gods, and Samantha holds the silver case with the Ancient device firmly in her hand.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 10:54:07 PM by cortex ghost »
"Honestly, I swear to drunk I'm not God."
"Does this smell like chloroform to you?"
"Nothing in the Verse can stop me."


December 25, 2012, 07:12:01 PM
Reply #1
  • Warhorse
  • ******
  • Posts: 2497
  • Karma: +24/-0
    • View Profile

Feeling himself re-materialize in the temple courtyard, Leon looked next to him on either side. Three women, four men and one moglin. He nodded, taking in a breath of fresh air and raising his arms high. "Smell that air, wouldn't you? It's as cathartic as an angel's song. Couldn't you just drink it like wine?"

As he was raising his arms into the air, Leon looked up into the sky. Noticing at once with utmost relief his ship was still hovering as ordered, the captain's eyes focused in on the stenciling. It wouldn't be much longer. "Well, now that's taken care of, shall we? I'm sure the Overseer will be wanting to hear the report. You think anything major's happened since we've been gone?"
PbP Campaign history
AitD: Elliot and Alice Jeru
BNW: Leon Artest
Successfully concluded campaigns
TGB: Aquila Golan
"Before I refuse to take your questions, I have an opening statement." -Ronald Reagan


December 25, 2012, 07:52:28 PM
Reply #2
  • Moderator
  • Grizzled Warrior
  • *****
  • Posts: 3921
  • Karma: +30/-0
  • GM - BNW, SAHC
    • View Profile

Suriya Kellsdotter
sword (sheathed) revolver (in concealed holster)
 6PP
3W/5S/32LP
0/36 MP


"I'd hate to think of the Wardens' singing," Suriya quips. "But I am glad to be out of that place, at any rate."  She walks swiftly up to the doors of the Temple.  "It does seem remarkably quiet, hm?"  She slides her revolver out of its holster and holds it down by her leg, out of sight.
"Honestly, I swear to drunk I'm not God."
"Does this smell like chloroform to you?"
"Nothing in the Verse can stop me."


December 25, 2012, 08:54:02 PM
Reply #3
  • Warhorse
  • ******
  • Posts: 2497
  • Karma: +24/-0
    • View Profile

Staying remarkably calm, considering the massive wounds in his body and the pain as he walked, Leon shook his head. "Preposterous. This is literally the center of the Multiverse. I should think if anything attacked here, it'd be much more apparent." a certain smugness forming on his face, before contorting in pain as he took a bad step "Plus, look at my ship. Perfectly docked and not a thing amiss. If there were trouble, my armsmen would be swarming the area and defending it as ordered."

It probably didn't help that he had a suit of jaffa armor and several staff weapons gathered under his arms and lashed to his body. His back would hurt like Hera's throes when birthing Eileithyia, for a while. But luckily, this kind of tech was like to make Agent Rail spit out her morning tea, so maybe she would get off his back sooner rather than later.
PbP Campaign history
AitD: Elliot and Alice Jeru
BNW: Leon Artest
Successfully concluded campaigns
TGB: Aquila Golan
"Before I refuse to take your questions, I have an opening statement." -Ronald Reagan


December 25, 2012, 08:55:06 PM
Reply #4
  • Warhorse
  • ******
  • Posts: 1663
  • Karma: +18/-0
    • View Profile

The Mason
Redhead in a Shimmering Dress

~ Amnesiac
~ Memorable
~ Strange Luck

35/36 LP
 0 Stuns
 1 Wound

The Mason tapped her fingers on the railing.  Her thoughts were dark and burdened with the weight of what she'd discovered at the gathering of gods.  Things were far worse than she'd surmised, and she'd already conceived of horrific possibilities beyond the ken of most sentient beings.

It was at the mention of the stillness and overt quiet repose of the Temple that her concentration began the trudge back to the rest of the group.  Suriya's concern over the peaceful atmosphere drew her attention.  The Mason addressed Leon before the Detective knocked.  "Captain Artest, perhaps you should contact your ship real quick.  Just to ensure that everything is alright before we proceed."
"Curiosity Beckons."
"Saving the day never seems to count if you can't save everyone..."


December 25, 2012, 09:07:08 PM
Reply #5
  • Warhorse
  • ******
  • Posts: 2497
  • Karma: +24/-0
    • View Profile

Leon sighed, standing the staff weapons against the wall. "As you wish. I need to know the state of affairs on the ship, anyhow." Touching his finger against his comm bead, Leon hailed his ship's vox frequency and looked in the sky as though talking to his ship directly. "Lord-Captain to Tempest. Lord-Captain hailing USV Tempest."
PbP Campaign history
AitD: Elliot and Alice Jeru
BNW: Leon Artest
Successfully concluded campaigns
TGB: Aquila Golan
"Before I refuse to take your questions, I have an opening statement." -Ronald Reagan


December 26, 2012, 11:30:02 AM
Reply #6
  • Big Damn Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 613
  • Karma: +14/-0
    • View Profile

Isaac Crass - Last of the Ferro'Khin                        34/36 LP
Twin long blades.                                                    27 Stun;  (reduced to 19)
Police baton, up a sleeve.                                       2 Wound
6/12 pp

Isaac keeps to himself.  When the party recovers their belongings from the hotel, he fishes a small satchel bearing a red cross from his bag, and from a small compartment eats a couple of aspirin. 
[Second wind; 1d8 = 8  http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3838701/]

Finding an out of the way corner in the ship, he sits on the floor, and writes in his book.  He wrote, and drew a rough image of Hastur; the god's words, You were made to serve.  To live, and serve, and to die, as your master's saw fit.  coming to him as he wrote.  The Sekhmet came next; No one builds an army without planning to use it - Your people were the basest pawns in a game far more complicated than your feeble little mortal mind can comprehend.  He sketched Athena, and thought of her words too, describing the Ferro'khin as weapons 'removed from use', and her answer when he asked about his own gods.  Sekhmet's posturing aside, we did not slay any of Them.  Any battle between our pantheon and theirs would have devastated entire realms, mortal.  He flipped backwards in the book, and added writing beneath many of the pictures of his companions; but Leon and Suriya most of all.  His expression changing dozens of times as he wrote, he was utterly lost to the world around him; surfacing only once the ship had landed again.

Putting his books away, and stretching his legs, Isaac rose, and trailed along the rear of the group beside Monroe, thinking the events of the day over in his mind, letting them gather and crystallize.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 11:32:02 AM by Wanderer »
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle."


December 26, 2012, 12:47:32 PM
Reply #7
  • Administrator
  • Grizzled Warrior
  • *****
  • Posts: 4205
  • Karma: +15/-1
    • View Profile

Maj. Samatha Carter
  US Air Force pilot, astrophysicist
    P-90, Beretta 9 mm, Kara kesh
      6 /12 PP 16 AP
        32/32 LP : W0 S0

Samantha comes up next to Leon, sensing some distress in his mannerism. "Are you wounded? I can assist with that."
-Mac


GM: BumpInTheBlack
Player: D:LH, SAHC, BNW


December 26, 2012, 10:51:01 PM
Reply #8
  • Moderator
  • Grizzled Warrior
  • *****
  • Posts: 3921
  • Karma: +30/-0
  • GM - BNW, SAHC
    • View Profile

"Tempest here, Captain.  Oh my gods, hes back?  Tell him, tell hi-]Shut up!  He'll find out soon!  Jessica here, Cap - we're all ship-shape and ready for you, whenever you need [Shouted incoherently off mike]For the love of Athena shut up![/shout]  We'll send down an honour guard right away, sir."

Suriya opened the door to the Temple and slipped inside.  She popped back out a moment later, her gun holstered.  "All clear," she says, hauling the door open and heading inside with determination towards the Overseer.
"Honestly, I swear to drunk I'm not God."
"Does this smell like chloroform to you?"
"Nothing in the Verse can stop me."


December 26, 2012, 11:35:48 PM
Reply #9
  • Warhorse
  • ******
  • Posts: 2497
  • Karma: +24/-0
    • View Profile

Jessica. So everyone was alive after all. Including Josette, as she wasted no time in making painfully obvious. "Send down Misune and Rivers, Jess. My honor guard is big as it is." Nodding his head, Leon closed the vox channel. Suriya gave the all clear and Leon followed after. "It is all right, Major Carter. Let us just be going and deliver my report. I'll be fit enough to stand until after."

Then, I can receive... proper healing from my ship's medical officer. Even with the weight of his back cargo still causing him pain, Leon felt his lips curl into a grin.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 02:19:12 AM by RobbyL9 »
PbP Campaign history
AitD: Elliot and Alice Jeru
BNW: Leon Artest
Successfully concluded campaigns
TGB: Aquila Golan
"Before I refuse to take your questions, I have an opening statement." -Ronald Reagan


December 30, 2012, 01:25:28 PM
Reply #10
  • Warhorse
  • ******
  • Posts: 1663
  • Karma: +18/-0
    • View Profile

The Mason
Redhead in a Shimmering Dress

~ Amnesiac
~ Memorable
~ Strange Luck

35/36 LP
 0 Stuns
 1 Wound

With Leon's contact with his ship and Suriya's quick observation of the temple it seemed that all was in order; though of course order did not inherently imply that things were well.  They'd arguably only managed to delay certain events, and The Mason was accutely aware that the situation, while seemingly improved, was actually worse than had originally been conceived of.  Their last encounter resulted in the successful acquisition of the device they'd been sent to retrieve, but the knowledge that a Time Lord was involved illuminated far greater concerns.

That realization led The Mason into a self-chastising mood for she had made a fundamental mistake and one that if not addressed soon could endanger countless realms of existence; she'd failed to identify the Time Lord.  Situational circumstances had conspired against her in this regard, but in her mind it was a failure notwithstanding.  Without his identity she couldn't properly begin to extrapolate his intentions.  For all she knew he might have actually been an ally or at least a fellow travelor in the struggle against the darkness that was consuming the multi-verse, but that was a risk that her current situation could not allow for.

Whomever he is, The Mason knew he'd not be idle, and that meant dangerous movements were already taking place beyond the scope of even her considerable abilities to predict.

...That and she was really flipping mad about losing her TARDIS again...

"Curiosity Beckons."
"Saving the day never seems to count if you can't save everyone..."


December 31, 2012, 09:28:33 PM
Reply #11
  • Moderator
  • Grizzled Warrior
  • *****
  • Posts: 3921
  • Karma: +30/-0
  • GM - BNW, SAHC
    • View Profile

The Orrery Room was open, and only the Overseer was visible, hunched over a complicated control panel.  He glances up as the group enters, and a question is obvious on the tip of his tongue.

"Did you...?" he asks, his voice hopeful.
"Honestly, I swear to drunk I'm not God."
"Does this smell like chloroform to you?"
"Nothing in the Verse can stop me."


December 31, 2012, 10:13:05 PM
Reply #12
  • Administrator
  • Grizzled Warrior
  • *****
  • Posts: 4205
  • Karma: +15/-1
    • View Profile


Maj. Samatha Carter
  US Air Force pilot, astrophysicist
    P-90, Beretta 9 mm, Kara kesh
      6 /12 PP 16 AP
        32/32 LP : W0 S0

Samantha steps forward, holding out the case. "Yes, we have the device here. " she presents it to the overseer.
-Mac


GM: BumpInTheBlack
Player: D:LH, SAHC, BNW


December 31, 2012, 11:56:10 PM
Reply #13
  • Warhorse
  • ******
  • Posts: 2497
  • Karma: +24/-0
    • View Profile

Taking a cue from Samantha's stepping forward, Leon sidled in beside her and presented the dataslate from inside his coat folds. "I have prepared a report of the events of our stay within the city. With your permission, honored Overseer, I would deliver it. All things considered, I feel you should be quite pleased with the way things managed to turn out." he said, activating the device and opening the file to reveal the summary of their mission. Various pictures and annotations were lit up, signifying items which required more specific observation and could be opened. The one bearing the face of the seemingly immortal interceptor jumped out in Leon's eyes, drawing his attention.

The captain continued, spreading out the pertinent items with an opening of his fingers on the screen. "The gods were on the verge of rebelling against one another and things would undoubtedly have gotten much worse, had we not intervened. After some convincing, I believe we managed to secure that asset, at least for now. However, at the flip side, we are facing a world of unknowns in return."

Leon pressed the annotation describing the scene caused by the Corruption. "First and foremost is this... a corrupting influence which is powerful enough to poison and turn gods, if what we witnessed is anything to judge by. Taking the form of an inky, black tar, this corruption can spread and conquer its victims in a variety of ways, from imbibing to mere bareskin contact. Once taken hold, it bewitches its victim and makes he, she or they appear to be among the living dead. Its only weakness appears to be a cleansing flame or bright flashes of pure light."

"Also of note is the one known as Apophis. The pretender who betrayed the gods and stands accused of deicide for poisoning them and their subjects with corruption. His current whereabouts are unknown, but it is believed it is he who is attempting to engineer the destruction of universes and for what we cannot say."

"Finally, of serious note is this man. Identity unknown, believed to be an ally of Apophis' in his plans for destruction. When Major Carter was attempting to make off with the device, he appeared behind her saying he intended to destroy the universe we were in. She slew him via a single shot to the head and left his body, only to return a minute later to find he had... regenerated, somehow. He now bears a different form and presumably managed to escape when we re-acquired the device from him."

"This report has been itemized and processed to be used for your informative benefit. There are other important sections which have been denoted in the main summary as well. Further details and speculation concerning the above noted can be found in their respective sections." Finishing his report, the captain lowered his head and took a step backward. Leon waited for the Overseer's response to all of this new information. He suspecting that it was perhaps not the first the master of the Multiverse had heard of corruption or even of Apophis, if Jergen was to be believed.
PbP Campaign history
AitD: Elliot and Alice Jeru
BNW: Leon Artest
Successfully concluded campaigns
TGB: Aquila Golan
"Before I refuse to take your questions, I have an opening statement." -Ronald Reagan


January 01, 2013, 12:38:37 AM
Reply #14
  • Warhorse
  • ******
  • Posts: 1663
  • Karma: +18/-0
    • View Profile

The Mason
Redhead in a Shimmering Dress

~ Amnesiac
~ Memorable
~ Strange Luck

35/36 LP
 0 Stuns
 1 Wound

The Mason strode with slow steps in to the Orrery room behind the others as Leon delivered his report.  She did not so much approach the Overseer as she did the Orrery to observe it while she listened to Leon.  Her interpretation of events and theories regarding their adversaries was somewhat different, but it served her purpose to withold this information for the moment at least.  She wanted to see the Overseer's reactions.  She wanted to know what the Overseer surmised about the man they'd wrestled the device from.  With Isaac in their company there was considerable concern for her over what might come to light.
"Curiosity Beckons."
"Saving the day never seems to count if you can't save everyone..."