Cortex PBP Games

 
* *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2018, 02:24:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 24765
  • Total Topics: 531
  • Online Today: 16
  • Online Ever: 78
  • (August 03, 2013, 08:27:12 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 10
Total: 10

Recent

10 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: [BNW] Chapter 6: Killing Time  (Read 21104 times)

February 10, 2014, 09:01:11 PM
  • Warhorse
  • ******
  • Posts: 1663
  • Karma: +18/-0
    • View Profile

Chapter 6


Now that the doors have been shut, the group takes a moment to gaze in wonder at the interior of the Mason's vessel.




The Mason
Prey Food with a Stinger

~ Amnesiac
~ Memorable
~ Strange Luck

6 pp
 36/36 LP
 0 Stuns
 0 Wound

With a grim look on his face, the captain shook his head. "Get us out of here." he grumbled, his gaze falling to the floor.
The Mason looked around at the others and then at the computer console as it moved up and down.  "Done."  She sighed and looked at the bare back of her wrist.  "And, assuming everything went correctly.... A crude antimatter bomb just annihilated Sir Robert's estate, along with him, that thing, and Apophis."  She looks over at Samantha, "I specifically sabotaged the portal generator to prevent his escape.  Though I have a sneaking feeling that this fight is far from over."

"Oh my!  I totally forgot to explain!  Welcome!!  To my TARDIS!!!"  She raises her hands to indicate the building they were standing in.  A strange structure that looked like it was equal parts of being inside and outside at the same time, with a roof and red grass floor.  "We're on board a ship, as some of you might have guessed, and others I suspect don't yet realize."  Her quick moment of exuberance was quickly replaced by the somber mood that preceded it.  "I was really hoping to show it to Gavin..."  She thought to herself, Saving the day never seems to count if you can't save everyone...
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 10:46:19 PM by cortex ghost »
"Curiosity Beckons."
"Saving the day never seems to count if you can't save everyone..."


February 10, 2014, 09:43:02 PM
Reply #1
  • Elite
  • ****
  • Posts: 410
  • Karma: +4/-0
  • Ever alert for the call to Action!
    • View Profile

Fix
Security Monitor
Light Disc
W:4 S:14 / LP: 28
2/12 PP 0 AP
   
Dead inside
Eerie Presence
Memorable
Socially Awkward

Fix's face was grimly set beneath his helmet.  The idea that he didn't need his helmet any more didn't occur to him.

He'd lost people before.  But it never got any easier.  While he realised the burden of having a perfect memory, it didn't occur to him that the others may not share it.

Looking about the interior of the Tardis, and back to the doorway they passed through Fix says, "I didn't see, or feel, any digitization process."  Before turning back to The Mason, his head tilted quizzically.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 10:39:08 PM by cortex ghost »
Spinning is so much cooler than not spinning!


February 10, 2014, 09:52:23 PM
Reply #2
  • Warhorse
  • ******
  • Posts: 2497
  • Karma: +24/-0
    • View Profile

Leon stood and looked around. Standing up and taking Sam's instruction, he settled down and let her heal him. For a ship, the interior was rather unusual. Red grass, stained glass windows and temple alcoves all around him. Fix seemed puzzled about the nature of this place, and so too was he.

"Indeed, Fix. Mason, is this place larger than it is supposed to be? Leon asked, stowing and removing his weapons from his side. He, of course, knew the answer. But the Mason seemed excited enough to tell him all the ins and outs and give him the service history of the machine while she was at it.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 10:39:28 PM by cortex ghost »
PbP Campaign history
AitD: Elliot and Alice Jeru
BNW: Leon Artest
Successfully concluded campaigns
TGB: Aquila Golan
"Before I refuse to take your questions, I have an opening statement." -Ronald Reagan


February 10, 2014, 10:00:50 PM
Reply #3
  • Warhorse
  • ******
  • Posts: 1663
  • Karma: +18/-0
    • View Profile

The Mason
Prey Food with a Stinger

~ Amnesiac
~ Memorable
~ Strange Luck

6 pp
 36/36 LP
 0 Stuns
 0 Wound

Looking about the interior of the Tardis, and back to the doorway they passed through Fix says, "I didn't see, or feel, any digitization process."  Before turning back to The Mason, his head tilted quizzically.
The Mason looks up.  "There wasn't any.  No teleportation.  No wormhole.  Just a quiet stroll in to a different dimension."  She purses her lips to the side.  "Not sure how best to explain it to you in terms you'd understand.  Might take me a moment to come up with a decent analogy.  It's not exactly easy for me to explain to analog lifeforms either..."

Leon stood and looked around. Standing up and taking Sam's instruction, he settled down and let her heal him. For a ship, the interior was rather unusual. Red grass, stained glass windows and temple alcoves all around him. Fix seemed puzzled about the nature of this place, and so too was he.

"Indeed, Fix. Mason, is this place larger than it is supposed to be? Leon asked, stowing and removing his weapons from his side. He, of course, knew the answer. But the Mason seemed excited enough to tell him all the ins and outs and give him the service history of the machine while she was at it.

"Oh yes.  Much bigger.  You could spend a lifetime exploring in here.  Or several..."  She looks back to the group.  "By the way..  don't leave this room.  We're not exactly... not exactly safe in this place.  There are a few issues I'm still trying to iron out.  In addition to those things that I've got caged up..."  She points to three antechambers that have been caged off to the side of the room which each bear one of the monsters that Sir Robert had in his dungeon.


"But honestly, they're not the major danger in here..."  She walks over to the console and begins pressing buttons and flipping switches.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 10:39:38 PM by cortex ghost »
"Curiosity Beckons."
"Saving the day never seems to count if you can't save everyone..."


February 10, 2014, 10:54:57 PM
Reply #4
  • Moderator
  • Grizzled Warrior
  • *****
  • Posts: 3921
  • Karma: +30/-0
  • GM - BNW, SAHC
    • View Profile

Suriya Kellsdotter
sword (out) revolver (holstered)
6 PP
0W/0S/32LP
12/36 MP


Suriya glances around after sheathing her weapons.  "Mason, you have peculiar taste.  And your explanation fills me with all sorts of joy and anticipation," she says wryly.  "Ah, and Samantha, I believe that this is yours - sorry about the junk in there, the vampire had collected it from various worlds...  And now that I've said it out loud, among this group, it sounds far less strange than it did in my head."  She drops the PDP next to Sam, shrugging.
"Honestly, I swear to drunk I'm not God."
"Does this smell like chloroform to you?"
"Nothing in the Verse can stop me."


February 11, 2014, 04:49:52 AM
Reply #5
  • Warhorse
  • ******
  • Posts: 2497
  • Karma: +24/-0
    • View Profile

"Actually, Suriya, the decor in here makes me feel rather at home." Leon said, looking around the alcoves "Would you believe that there are a great many places on Sparta that look much like this? The temples and the red grass? Peculiar indeed."
PbP Campaign history
AitD: Elliot and Alice Jeru
BNW: Leon Artest
Successfully concluded campaigns
TGB: Aquila Golan
"Before I refuse to take your questions, I have an opening statement." -Ronald Reagan


February 11, 2014, 05:07:41 AM
Reply #6
  • Administrator
  • Grizzled Warrior
  • *****
  • Posts: 4205
  • Karma: +15/-1
    • View Profile

Maj. Samatha Carter
  US Air Force pilot, astrophysicist
    P-90, Beretta 9 mm, Kara kesh, Strange Plasma Gun
      LP: 32/32 W:0 S:0
      6/12 PP 6 AP

Sam nods at the PDP and faces Leon.

"Just as my device here contains much more than it would appear, the TARDIS is just an extremely larger version plus it is a transport."

She turns to the Mason. "I just wish I could have separated Apophis from his host. Personally. With my bare hands. But then, he was probably just another clone."

She stands, after her device has finished repairing Leon's rib and other injuries, and approaches the group's newcomer (Fix). "Hello. My name is Major Samantha Carter, US Air Force. Astrophysicist. And you are? "
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 05:10:57 AM by MacTrom »
-Mac


GM: BumpInTheBlack
Player: D:LH, SAHC, BNW


February 11, 2014, 10:13:01 AM
Reply #7
  • Warhorse
  • ******
  • Posts: 1663
  • Karma: +18/-0
    • View Profile

The Mason
Prey Food with a Stinger

~ Amnesiac
~ Memorable
~ Strange Luck

6 pp
 36/36 LP
 0 Stuns
 0 Wound

"Ah, and Samantha, I believe that this is yours - sorry about the junk in there, the vampire had collected it from various worlds...  And now that I've said it out loud, among this group, it sounds far less strange than it did in my head."  She drops the PDP next to Sam, shrugging.
The Mason looks up.  "Vampire?  Really?  Gosh, I really am getting old.  Timelords and Hemovores are ancient enemies from waaay back."  The Mason shakes her head.  "Oh well, two fowl, one rock I suppose."

"Actually, Suriya, the decor in here makes me feel rather at home." Leon said, looking around the alcoves "Would you believe that there are a great many places on Sparta that look much like this? The temples and the red grass? Peculiar indeed."
The Mason cocks an eyebrow, but it settles.  "Deeper inside you'll find a vast variety of architecture.  It wouldn't surprise me if you all find something that bears familiarity to other civilizations you've each known."

She turns to the Mason. "I just wish I could have separated Apophis from his host. Personally. With my bare hands. But then, he was probably just another clone."
The Mason gives a sheepish look.  "Which is partially why you're here Major.  I wouldn't be surprised if another clone of Apophis, or at the very least agents of his or other dangers still lurk within the TARDIS."

The Mason looks down the long hallway.  There was something that had been on her mind since the last time they visited the HUB, and now that she was actually here, back on board her TARDIS, the concern refused to release itself from her thoughts.

"Mr Crass..."  She looked over at the Ferro'khin, "I require your assistance.  My ship was not built to travel between dimensions, and piloting her is proving to be a bit of a challenge to say the least.  As a rift walker I think you can be of great help in making this easier."
"Curiosity Beckons."
"Saving the day never seems to count if you can't save everyone..."


February 11, 2014, 11:47:57 AM
Reply #8
  • Big Damn Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 613
  • Karma: +14/-0
    • View Profile

Isaac Crass - Last of the Ferro'Khin               
Twin long blades.                                                 
Police baton, up a sleeve.
LP: 11/36      Stun: 10   Wounds: 25                                                                 
6/12 PP

Isaac silently accepts the healing from Major Carter's strange device, but mostly keeps to himself while the rest discuss the Mason's totem, her Tardis.  He listened intently to her description of it, however, giving him much to think on.  Off on his own, took out his cloak, laid the One's hand atop it, and then began the long process of removing everything else he wore, and carefully going over it all to purge any remnant of the corruption.  More than once he looked over at the demon's hand again, and thought of Aeyn. 

Quote
"I just wish I could have separated Apophis from his host. Personally. With my bare hands. But then, he was probably just another clone."
"He was the same we faced at the God's ball, Sam."  Isaac says, tearing off his ruined shirt.  "He was infected by the corrupt that day.  The Apophis we saw today had deteriorated accordingly for that span of time.  And I promise you, his last moments of life were agony." 

Quote
"Mr Crass..."  She looked over at the Ferro'khin, "I require your assistance.  My ship was not built to travel between dimensions, and piloting her is proving to be a bit of a challenge to say the least.  As a rift walker I think you can be of great help in making this easier."

Isaac looked down at the swords, and then cast his eyes about the vast expanse of the Mason's Tardis.  The amount of power something, anything would need to move this entire sphere... but then again, the rift it made when it arrived in the basement had been small, subtle.  Perhaps there was something to that.
"Yes.  I think I could help your Tardis.  But there is knowledge I need from you if we are to do it safely, Mason.  And knowledge I must share with you, in turn."
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 11:51:24 AM by Wanderer »
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle."


February 11, 2014, 11:59:14 AM
Reply #9
  • Warhorse
  • ******
  • Posts: 1663
  • Karma: +18/-0
    • View Profile

The Mason
Prey Food with a Stinger

~ Amnesiac
~ Memorable
~ Strange Luck

6 pp
 36/36 LP
 0 Stuns
 0 Wound

"Oh?"  The Mason gets down on her hands and knees to reach beneath the table of her computer console.  "And what knowledge is it that you need?"  She pulls down a cable and brings it out from underneath.
"Curiosity Beckons."
"Saving the day never seems to count if you can't save everyone..."


February 11, 2014, 12:29:36 PM
Reply #10
  • Administrator
  • Grizzled Warrior
  • *****
  • Posts: 4205
  • Karma: +15/-1
    • View Profile

"He was the same we faced at the God's ball, Sam."  Isaac says, tearing off his ruined shirt.  "He was infected by the corrupt that day.  The Apophis we saw today had deteriorated accordingly for that span of time.  And I promise you, his last moments of life were agony." 

Maj. Samatha Carter
  US Air Force pilot, astrophysicist
    P-90, Beretta 9 mm, Kara kesh, Strange Plasma Gun
      LP: 32/32 W:0 S:0
      6/12 PP 6 AP

Sam shook her head slowly.

"Perhaps, but unless the worm itself is killed, it can revive the host from virtually any injury. If the corruption doesn't do a complete job, or if The Mason's antimatter bomb was insufficient, he will return. I won't believe him finished until I see the worm shrivel up with my own eyes. " She shrugs meaningfully. "Even then, I won't  truly feel safe."
-Mac


GM: BumpInTheBlack
Player: D:LH, SAHC, BNW


February 11, 2014, 01:47:28 PM
Reply #11
  • Big Damn Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 613
  • Karma: +14/-0
    • View Profile

Isaac Crass - Last of the Ferro'Khin               
Twin long blades.                                                 
Police baton, up a sleeve.
LP: 11/36      Stun: 10   Wounds: 25                                                                 
6/12 PP

Quote
"... If the corruption doesn't do a complete job, or if The Mason's antimatter bomb was insufficient, he will return. I won't believe him finished until I see the worm shrivel up with my own eyes."

"The corruption is not what I meant."  Isaac corrects, flicking a bit of dead ichor off of his clothing.  He sighs a little uncomfortably.  "The demon we met back in the God-city, the Ancient King in Yellow, Hastur.  He... compelled me to do him a service.  Hastur meant for me to deliver a "message" to Apophis at the God's ball.  An egg.  It would have slaughtered most everyone there.  So I've carried it, kept it asleep, until today when I tossed it towards the Gua'uld.  The creature was an Elder Thing, Sam.  It knew only one purpose."  Isaac picked up his things, and headed over to the Mason. 

Approaching the alter that the Time Lord worked on, Isaac looked over the strange lights and symbols.  "I must know three things.  Your vessel is too powerful for me to move, Mason, as I'm sure you know, but I might have an idea.  First, you must show me your vessel's compass.  Not its memories of places, or maps, but only its compass.   Second, your Tardis, does it have a uniqueness to it?  A Name, in the truest sense.  Third, I must know exactly where you want to go.  Place, sight, smell, sound, everything."

Isaac looked down at the panels.  "I will glimpse the smallest bit of your vessel's spirit, and hopefully your vessel in turn will see enough to follow.  Then I will Walk.  Then she and you together must keep up.  Simple and elegant."  Isaac says turning to the Mason with a smile.  Suddenly though it breaks, and he looks down, and speaks quietly so only they can hear.

"Mason, you examined my swords once.  You know at least a bit of their nature, and I'll need them to Rift Walk.  But when we were trapped in that basement... that leviathan, when it killed Aeyn.  I did something.  To try and protect the others.  And the blades are, in me now, in some way.  I may begin to.  Change.  After this."
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 01:56:08 PM by Wanderer »
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle."


February 11, 2014, 03:37:08 PM
Reply #12
  • Warhorse
  • ******
  • Posts: 1663
  • Karma: +18/-0
    • View Profile

The Mason
Prey Food with a Stinger

~ Amnesiac
~ Memorable
~ Strange Luck

6 pp
 36/36 LP
 0 Stuns
 0 Wound

The Mason waved her hand.  "Oh my dear soul, no, I have no intention of placing a burden upon your transdimensional ambulatory powers.  You needn't walk like oxen bound to my ship.  I merely need a telepathic imprint to provide the TARDIS with a few coordinates that can be used in twelve-dimensional triangulation."  Her eyes look side to side.  "And that probably makes no sense to you at all."

She purses her lips side to side as a thought occurs to her, "And having you touch this device," she indicates the cable in her hand, "would probably be a massive shock to your system considering your ability to glean things from, well, things.  Hmmm."  She looks around the room.  "You're going to have to be very careful about what you touch in here.  Well, I suppose I could act as a combination conduit and buffer.  If you're willing, I'll just need to take off my gauntlet and take your hand."

She lowers her voice.  "In regards to your swords... I honestly don't know if I have the words that can explain them to you.  Your swords,.. well they aren't swords at all.  In my experience, which is considerable, they are simply impossible things that can not possibly exist.  Yet they do."  She sighs yet again as she attempts to clarify in a voice low enough to not allow the others to hear, "They are the quintessence formed from collapsed realities.  Like voids made manifest as metal.  Doorways that can only be passed through in one direction."  She lowers her voice even further.  "They don't cut.  They consume."

"Now."  she says speaking up.  "Assuming you are willing, let's see if we can get a few navigational bearings from your mind, and then we'll be off."  She lifts up her left hand and looks at the gauntlet with a curious expression.  "You know... it's been an awfully long time since I removed it.  In fact, I don't even know how long."  With her right hand she grips the sleeve of the gauntlet and slowly lifts it off.  A pale blue light disappears from within as she sets it aside.  "No one touch that if you value your brain waves."

She takes the cable in her right hand and extends the other to Isaac.  "If you aren't comfortable with opening your mind to me, I'll understand.  Otherwise, just think of me as a window.  Only hold up to the window the things you want seen from the other side.  Think of the places you've traveled.  Think of your home before the threshers came.  I don't need you to think of many places, just a few.  I'll relay those thoughts."
"Curiosity Beckons."
"Saving the day never seems to count if you can't save everyone..."


February 11, 2014, 08:41:18 PM
Reply #13
  • Elite
  • ****
  • Posts: 410
  • Karma: +4/-0
  • Ever alert for the call to Action!
    • View Profile

Fix
Security Monitor
Light Disc
W:4 S:14 / LP: 28
6/12 PP 0 AP
   
Dead inside
Eerie Presence
Memorable
Socially Awkward

"Not sure how best to explain it to you in terms you'd understand.  Might take me a moment to come up with a decent analogy.  It's not exactly easy for me to explain to analog lifeforms either..."

Fix straightens his head before saying, "I've seen an area of compressed space before.  But not one that was mobile."  Fix ponders the idea for a moment.  Would having the capacity to move Cyrus's machine have changed anything?  Probably not.

"Hello. My name is Major Samantha Carter, US Air Force. Astrophysicist. And you are?"

Turning to Sam Fix says, "Fix.  Security Monitor."  He goes to extend his hand, but seeing her using the healing device, he withdraws it.  Another long username.  As if to illustrate his point he asks, "Do you have a shorter designation I may use, Major Samantha Carter?"

Spinning is so much cooler than not spinning!


February 11, 2014, 09:16:09 PM
Reply #14
  • Warhorse
  • ******
  • Posts: 2497
  • Karma: +24/-0
    • View Profile

"Sam." Leon answered Fix, rubbing his healed ribs in great relief.

"Mason?" the captain asked, finding a nice patch of grass and sprawling out on his back "What do you think happened to Raven? He was AWOL when we left and seemed to have just done another one of his disappearing acts. Gods, I hope we didn't leave him." There did seem to be genuine concern in his voice, but not a terrible amount. After all, for a god that had such a habit for disappearing as Raven Trailblazer, to Leon it was not likely that he was made a prisoner of the Great Enemy.
PbP Campaign history
AitD: Elliot and Alice Jeru
BNW: Leon Artest
Successfully concluded campaigns
TGB: Aquila Golan
"Before I refuse to take your questions, I have an opening statement." -Ronald Reagan